Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri May 11, 2001  2:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] grumpy mozart tenor is back!

Greypins@a... wrote on differences between opera and
lieder singing:

> singing that focuses on the nuances of the text and being less
> ostentatious and more subtle can describe more than just lieder singers (i
> include singers of chansons, etc. in other words- classical singers of
> classical songs).

I do too, actually. I should have written "art song", but I
was lazy, because lieder is easier to type!

the same description might be applied to cabaret singers
> (like michael feinstein) or jazz singers (like mel torme). if the latter
> two are allowed, then why not joan baez or bob dylan? here, i might compare
> opera and lieder as being like sculpture to the two dimensional surface.
> further, one can then view oil vs. charcoal vs. pastel vs. watercolor (maybe
> even crayon) as different techniques applied to the same forum.

Of course it does - but in what I was writing about, the
vocal technique IS different in these other art forms.
Though I agree as to the intimacy. I would analogize the
small room cabaret singers to the art-song singers (can't I
just write lieder, and you'll agree I mean art song, I hate
typing that dash!), and the arena singers to opera singers.

another analogy could be made to the stage actor
> vs. the film actor or maybe even to the priest of the pulpit vs. the priest
> of the confessional. (well, there goes my chance of being taken seriously.)

Cool! How about comparing "My Dinner with Andre" to "Saving
Private Ryan"?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...