Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Pepijn van der Laan en Else Kramer" <else.kramer@p...>
"Pepijn van der Laan en Else Kramer" <else.kramer@p...>
Date:  Thu May 10, 2001  7:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] sight-reading: important? LONG

Dear Isabelle and list,

I am currently preparing for my Music Theory entrance exam (yep, I want to
STUDY Music Theory), I have to put in my 2 (euro)cents here...I think being
a singer is also being a musician and thus about 'general musicianship'.

Allow me to quote Hindemith at some length, from the Introduction to
'Elementary training for musicians' (which, by the way, I find far from
elementary!), comments between [brackets] by me:

"...It will be said that the book is too comprehensive to be used by
everyone. ... Helpful as it may be for a future conductor to have some
experience in reading the various clefs, it would be a waste of time for a
pianist to bother with such special problems. To sing the right tones at the
right time may prove valuable for a singer, but when will a violinist ever
be asked to do so? ... Essential prerequisites for a player in an orchestra
may be utterly unimportant for a viruoso; increased knowledge of theoretical
facts will not instantly improve a cellist's playing...
There is only one answer to these objections: they are unfounded.
...objections to all-round elementary training for musicians ... can be
voiced only by those who acquiesce in the present wide-spread deterioration
in musical education.
[and then he goes on ranting for a while about times when 'a good musician
possessed a thorough knowledge of the subtle mechanism of music']...
Theoretical knowledge certainly will not directly improve a violinist's
finger-technique; but is it not likely to broaden his musical horizon and
his ability to interpret a composition? If our performers - players,
singers, and conductors alike - had a better insight into the the essentials
of musical scores, we would not be faced with what seems to have become
almost a rule in the superficially over-polished performances of today [i.e.
1946]: either rattling through of a piece without any reasonable
articulation, wihtout any deeper penetration into its character, tempo,
expression, meaning, and effect - or the hyper-individualistic distortion of
ideas expressed in a composer's score.
As for singers [aha!], nobody denies that most of them are launched on
their careers not because they show extraordinary musical talents, but
because they happen to have good voices. On account of this advantage a
singer is usually excluded from any but the most primitive musical
knowledge - knowledge such as could be acquired by any normal mind in a few
weeks of intelligent effort. Rare indeed is the singer nowadays who can do
what you would expect to be the most normal of all the activities of a
singing musicion: hit a tone at any interval, even if it is not part of a
simple stepwise progression or an easily understandable broken-chord melody,
and even if it is not directly supported by its accompaniment. Would a
singer not profit by being led through a severe course of general musical
training? It certainly would not hurt his voice to gain some additional
knowledge..."

Of course Hindemith is being very pessimistic and strict here, but I do
agree with him. Until half a year ago I knew nothing about music theory. I
could sight read a bit, simply through experience, but I could not tell you
how many flats there are in f minor, nor did I know any basic harmony, etc.
Over the past sixth months I have learned many things that may not have
helped me with my singing, technically speaking, but they have greatly
enhanced my understanding of music, thus enabling me to sing 'better'. I
have also become a better listener, much more aware of what is 'going on' in
the music, which gives me an even greater pleasure from something which I
already consider a most amazing and beautiful form of art.

OK, I am probably some sort of freak because I think music theory is fun,
but you know, as long as you immediatly apply the theory and use it in your
daily practicing/listening it can really pay off. I try to look for examples
of 'dry' exercises in music I am currently studying and do some interval and
rythm exercises related to songs I am working on. Or I'll try and analyze
the harmonies in a song or song cycle. It's much more fun to study this way,
and the results are immediate.

On a more pratical note: there is a very good ear training programme
available on-line which is a great help if you do not have a partner or
teacher to practice with. It lets you identify intervals, chords and
progressions; and read and repeat rythms, as well as many other things. A
free demo download is available at http://www.earmaster.com/

Happy singing,

Else Kramer