Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Thu Apr 26, 2001  11:17 am
Subject:  Re: Voice Lessons over summer?

Here at UNT we have substantial summer offerings. (One of our
few "perks.") Our students regularly study with other teachers for
five weeks summer sessions.

I feel that a teacher in this situation should minimize the changing
of your technique. When I get a student from another studio for a
summer, I say things like, "Let's try this and see if this helps." I
NEVER say things like, "I think your teacher has you on the wrong
path."

I LIKE for my students to work with other teachers. For one thing, I
don't have all the answers. Sometimes a "fresh" outlook can really
help! And sometimes it's good for a student to hear the same things
I've been saying from someone else!

In this situation the best thing to do is make sure both teachers
understand your situation, and are OK with it. Be careful not
to "pit" one teacher's ideas against the other. So avoid saying
things like, "Well, that's not what my OTHER teacher told me." That's
how hard feelings arise.

Good luck!

emusic.com