Vocalist.org archive

From:  Rocío Guitard <rocioguitard@h...>
Rocío Guitard <rocioguitard@h...>
Date:  Fri Apr 20, 2001  7:38 pm
Subject:  Re: Dealing with Anxiety when Performing

> I would be interested to hear how some of you opera singers deal with
anxiety (stage fright) when performing on stage. It appears that people
react to it in different ways from shortness of breath when singing,
shaking hands and feet, forgetting the lyrics and notes, and so on. Would
some of you who perform professionally on a regular basis please give us
some ideas on how to best cope with it, and some solutions that work for you.

Thank you,

Anne <

Anne,

one thing I've found out over the years is that, the more I worry about being
nervous on stage, the worse it gets. It does settle with experience, however I
don't believe it should ever go away 100%. I've learned to simply *give in* to
the fact that the first 30 seconds or so I *will* be a little nervous (or a
lot, depending on what kind of performance it is), and just that helps me
relax. I try to convert the nervousness into energy for the performance and it
usually works. Another trick is to think of it as me getting to have all the
fun on stage, rather than worry too much about the audience's response at
first. It all comes out more naturally and therefore touches the audience more.
If I worry about a zillion other things while I'm trying to communicate an
emotion through my singing, well, it won't work. Period.

My 2 cents,
Rocio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
11244 Re: Dealing with Anxiety when Performing Roseanne   Fri  4/20/2001   2 KB
11257 Re: Dealing with Anxiety when Performing MFoxy9795@a...   Sat  4/21/2001   2 KB

emusic.com