Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  2:27 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Muscle Memory

In a message dated 4/4/2001 10:12:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
michael.chesebro@w... writes:
michael.chesebro@w... writes:

<< The most ordinary example is when you speak to someone
listening to rock music on a headset. They usually shout at you unless
they are veteran headset users. >>

michael,

my wife and i are both singers and neither one of us do this (i love the
ones who sing along when they're wearing headphones). i often do an
experiment with my new students asking them to read a paragraph. then i ask
them to read another paragraph, ignoring their voice but paying attention to
how their mouths, throat, etc. feel. when paying attention to the feel
instead of the sound, every single one of them has read almost half again as
fast with significantly fewer slip ups.

related to that, i often have my students sing into paper towels and it
is amazing how much better they all sing when they only hear a muffled
version of themselves.

i once had an odd experience during the making of an audition tape for a
student (a friend supplied the equipment). i put on the earphones i was
using to monitor the balance and sang one of the songs. hearing myself
while i was singing was very bizarre. i almost couldn't do it.

mike

emusic.com