Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Wed Apr 4, 2001  3:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

Dear Lisa and Vocalisters,
It was indeed a very stimulating workshop and I'm so glad, Lisa,
that you are so very encouraged. I wish there had been time for us to meet,
but it was an extremely busy time with the NATS business as well as the
workshop. I led a panel discussion on the topic of "Does the North
American College System Work for Performance Majors" on Friday afternoon,
and this led to some very stimulating discussion among voice teachers
there. So much to process!
I'll pick up on one of the points you mentioned: Alma Thomas'
statement that "as performers, we have to perform for ourselves, not the
audience, or any other reason, and we need to take ownership of our
performances by not giving anything away". I can see where it is important
not to 'give away the performance' if that means giving up artistic
responsibility, personal self-worth as an artist, the ability to judge how
the performance went, etc., but I would disagree with the statement that we
perform for ourselves. A spirit of generosity, giving, wholeness, and of
sharing my slice of human experience, to me is an essential part of
performing.(Just one 'take' on that particular point.)
Best wishes, Karen Jensen