Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  10:33 pm
Subject:  South Pacific - my 2 pfennig

Doesn't anybody watch a musical for the story anymore? Or the stars?

I caught only the last 75 minutes of "South Pacific," but did get to hear
"This Nearly Was Mine." Hey, I know this Emile didn't have Ezio Pinza's
pipes, but the song was *still* lovely and overwhelmingly sad. Can't we be
open to new interpretations of old roles?

Then again, I think our Gremin in the Pocket Opera "Eugene Onegin" would
make a terrific Emile. Looks right AND sings great.

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt