Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 18, 2001  11:19 pm
Subject:  properties of the counter-tenor, was: blather-lather

In a message dated 3/18/2001 3:12:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, toda@m...
writes:

<< Of those who are new to the
CT voice, most assume it is just my natural voice, since it seems to
evolve out of the rest of my voice (I use more chest in the lower end
than most CTs, usually). I think those not too familiar classical
singers don't even blink, since they've heard pop singers use a
similar mix to mine.>>

tako,

this is a very good point and something i noticed right away from your
arpeggio example. we are used to hearing counter-tenors singing all in
falsetto and it struck me that you started in your 'speaking' voice and
modulated into your 'whatever the hell that is' voice (you know, the one you
call 'head' and i call falsetto). and from your discussion am i right in
assuming you use both in performance?

we have discussed morten harket and jeff buckley as well as geoff tate
in the past. certainly, anyone who is used to hearing these singers would
not be totally astonished to hear a singer who uses both voices, as i assume
you do. i still think they might be somewhat astonished to hear a ct who
sang all in 'falsetto' (my term). there is also the different timbre
associated with classical that is always a stretch for the uninitiated.

<<Tako Oda, counter [%] tenor>>

there is no room on this list for such displays!

formerly gay but, beginning to fume,
mike

emusic.com