Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  5:11 pm
Subject:  Re: Whistle vs. Falsetto WAS: What's a countertenor?

Greypins@a... wrote:

> i think that what a counter-tenor sings in, and it will have to be
> david daniels that i speak of (not being a big listener to cts) is the same
> voice as the operatic female (another voice i'm not particulary wild about).
> tako and i call different things falsetto. what he calls falsetto is
> probably the same as 'whistle'

Let's clarify whistle... some people consider whistle synonymous to
flageolet. Others consider it the sound Mariah Carey makes, which I believe
is a different register altogether (Structure of Singing has a few
paragraphs on this). I don't think the oscillation looks anything like head
voice or flageolet (which I think of as just an extension of the basic head
mechanism). As someone who used to be able to do this, I don't think it is
a very healthy mode of vocalization. I was never able to reconcile this
unhealthy whistle to the rest of my voice.

I could see how the concept of flageolet could be associated with what I
will for now call "supported falsetto" (SF). The idea that the folds are
thinned out to allow higher frequencies would hold true for both, I
think. Both are capable of reconciling with their lower registers.

So maybe unsupported falsetto (UF, or what I'd call *real* falsetto) is the
analogue to "bad" whistle voice? Both are very breathy, but unfortunately I
don't know the mechanism for this "bad" whistle register... Anyone?

As I mentioned before, though, I think of SF as somewhat analogous to a
woman's head voice, because otherwise, what do you call the flageolet-like
extension men like Randall Wong have? What would that be an analogue to?

Tako

emusic.com