Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  1:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Okay, what's this pitch thing about ?

At 06:40 PM 09-03-01 +0000, you wrote:
>Why is it so necessary to learn a song by matching the pitch on the
>piano as opposed to listening to someone else sing the song ?

The two things that come to mind are ....
1. They might be singing it incorrectly.
2. I don't like to think of myself as an imitator.

Then again, I still hold that technique is the final wrecker for pitch
and if the guy you're imitating hasn't got it right, then you're likely
to be infected with his problem.

The final test for me is to sing a melodic minor up and down
unaccompanied and play the key note at the bottom as you
arrive back. I use D. Good fun and if your technique is right on
I reckon it's much much easier. Reg

"One must have loved a woman of genius
to comprehend the happiness of loving a fool."

emusic.com