Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Fri Feb 2, 2001  6:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Questions?

> I hear many singers tell me they have 4 or 5 octaves voices. Do
> most singers have that many octaves or are they counting wrong?

Mythology. They're counting wrong. Seems like a lot of people make
that mistake. From middle C to high C is 2 octaves, not 3. To have 4
or 5 octaves is pretty much a physical impossibility, with a few
exceptions, such as a singer who can sing in the flageolet register up
to C above high C, which would be 3 octaves.

> Anyway, someone was telling me, that they're a trained singer and
> that they know vocal classifications. So they said that Celine Dion
> was a dramatic soprano. I really don't think she has that dark
> timbre to be a dramatic soprano. Even when she does vocal exercises
> that has opera overtones, she doesn't sound dramatic either.

ROFL! Ridiculous. Birgit Nilsson is a dramatic soprano. Celine Dion
is a soprano of some unclassified type because you can't classify a
voice that isn't evenly produced and lined up. If I had to guess, I'd
place her in the miscellaneous lyric soprano category. She does nice
things with phrases and seems musical and is one of the few singers who
actually *sing* right now in popular music, so I give her lots of
credit. I wish I had her bank account. :-)

> I'm
> thinking this person doesn't really know what they're talking about.

I'm thinking you're right!

Gina

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8974 Re: Questions? emmashapplinrules@h...   Fri  2/2/2001   4 KB
8990 Re: Questions? Isabelle Bracamonte   Fri  2/2/2001   2 KB

emusic.com