Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
snide76258@a...
Date:  Mon Jan 15, 2001  1:58 pm
Subject:  Re: musicals with "operatic" roles

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Gina <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Gina < >

> Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:
>
> > What are some musicals with roles that are for an
> > operatic soprano voice (more than just "legit" musical
> > theater tone -- I mean a full-throated,
> > resonant-brimming, vibrato-laden tone that would make
> > mike run screaming into the night).

Most of the Rogers and Hammersteing musicals have parts like you're
looking for. A good soprano role is Joanna in Sweeney Todd by
Sondheim, I think she even has to trill!

Hope Harcourt in Anything Goes is pretty operatic. Often in the old
musicals, the "leading lady" was more of an operatic soprano, while
the "tramp" (Reno Sweeney, Ado Annie, etc.) was more of a belter.

If you don't have it already, I think EVERY singer should own Hal
Leonard's Singer's Anthology of Musical Theatre (now in 2 vols.) in
their voice type. I use mine all the time!

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com