Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Jan 12, 2001  12:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Acting audition accent advice?

Peter Louis van Dijk wrote:

> Many years ago I was asked to audition for the role of Flora in" Turn of the
> Screw" (B Britten) The producer had heard me as Belinda in Dido and Aeneus
> when I was still a student (6 yrs prior to that) and thought I would be
> ideal. Anyway, I auditioned with Suzanna's aria , singing it as Suzanna,in
> my normal voice, .
>
> When I challenged the conductor as to why I didn't get the role in the first
> place, he said that I had sounded too mature at the audition.
>
> I don't quite know what the above tale is supposed to illustrate. That one
> can never do it right?

No, what it illustrates is that you can't expect people who cast to have
imagination.
They react to what they see now versus what they're looking for now. So if you
want to
them to cast you now, you show them what they need now.

BTW, what audition aria are you talking about - one of the two from Carlisle
Floyd's opera
"Susannah"?

--
mailto:peggyh@i...