Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Tue Dec 5, 2000  2:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] tongue problems

"Jennifer L. Fretwell" wrote:

> I have been having a tremendous problem in keeping my tongue flat while
> singing an "ee" sound (such as in the word "he"). The back of my tongue
> really rises up. . .Any suggestions as to how I can get my tongue to stay
> down?

Don't sing a wide "ee" as this causes the back of the tongue to rise up pretty
far which creates a 'country music' "ee" sound. Sing a vertical 'e' (opening
your mouth vertically) as 'ae' or 'i' as pronounced in 'little' and tack the
'e' sound in at the very end of the letter. This requires some practice to fix
the habit, but well worth it for the pleasant sound of a difficult letter.

What most people who sing don't realize, except for the letters 'o' and 'r' the
'ee' sound is in every letter in the alphabet, so conquering the letter 'e' is
a major step to singing words correctly and sounding good.

Dean FH Macy