Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jocelyn Gooch" <jocelyngooch@h...>
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  7:33 pm
Subject:  The Rake's Progress

Dear List, I've been lurking since school let out a couple of weeks ago, but
now I have something to say:

I was able to see Stravinsky's "The Rake's Progress" last night at San
Francisco Opera. A friend in the extra chorus of Parsifal had an extra comp
ticket!!! It was wonderful. The sets and costumes used lots of elements of
fanciful wood block prints reminiscent of 18th century illustrations. I saw
BRYN TERFEL! Also the wonderful Raymond Very as Tom, Rebecca Evans as Anne,
Dale Travis as Trulove, Susan Nicely as Mother Goose, and David Cangelosi as
Sellem. I was truly amazed by the gorgeous voice of countertenor Brian Asawa
as Baba the Turk. To me, his production was like that of a wonderfully clear
and rich mezzo with a few sudden pure chest tones. It was a glorious sound,
and marvelous acting. He WAS a woman, but with a beard, of course. I could
go on and on, but suffice it to say, GO AND EXPERIENCE STRAVINSKY IF YOU
CAN!

Breathlessly,

Jocelyn Thulin-Gooch (aching to learn the rest of Anne's aria)
Lyric Soprano
Alameda, California