Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sat Oct 19, 2002  5:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: beloved concert halls, and Exclusiveness

----- Original Message -----
From: "Reg Boyle" <bandb@n...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 17 October 2002 11:25
Subject: Re: [vocalist] Re: beloved concert halls, was virus talk

> Well I just assume you have personal experiences of the
> venue that are beyond the inclusions on the web page.
>
> I get the impression also that it labours the
> Englishness of musical composition and performance
> but fails to encompass Elgar. Put another way I have the
> impression that it has restricted its musical breadth.

I'm not quite certain I follow what you mean with this. I have visited
Snape and Aldeburgh, but never had the chance to study or perform there.
Snape is a venue that I associate for obvious reasons with Britten. I never
saw Britten as laboured Englishness, RVW perhaps. Elgar I go through
phases, but he's never the top of my list, but then he is a very different
composer to Britten.

As far as a venue for Britten, it adds to the background of his works.
There is an excellent video, I believe still available, of a sixties
production of Peter Grimes at Snape, conducted by Britten and with Pears in
the title role. When you get to travel some of the Suffolk coastline
(actually much of the Eastern coast of England is similar) you start to get
more of a feel of the way of life, and the possible characters of Grimes.
Snape is such an ideal place to bring these characters to the stage. As far
as I am aware, no mythological gods reside in the vicinity of Bayreuth,
hence not having the same feeling about that venue and Wagner. I am sure
you will appreciate that my comments were slightly tongue in cheek, although
I don't feel I mis-interpreted your definition of exclusive. Possibly you
decided to redefine it in your own mind after my response?

Anyway, I am just playing Devil's Advocate because I am typing this message
on a PC. I did work at University on a Sun Workstation, and typed up my
doctoral thesis on a Mac. If I could afford it I would have a Mac. I would
also have season tickets to Covent Garden. Unfortunately I can't afford
either, but choose not to criticise either because of my own position.

Best wishes

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20595 Re: beloved concert halls, and ExclusivenessReg Boyle bandbau Mon  10/21/2002

emusic.com