Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Sat Jan 19, 2002  1:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Charlotte

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mezzoid@a...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 2:00 PM

In a message dated 01/18/2002 9:13:40 AM Central Standard Time,
caiorossi@t... writes:

<< Someone said her beautiful timbre as due to sound-engineering, but how
can one prove that just by listening to the CD? >>

Christine:>Excuse me, I never said that her beautiful timbre was due to
sound
engineering. I'm saying that certain flaws are corrected by the sound
engineer, and in some singers more than others.<

But, Christine, this is what you wrote: "It is a pretty voice, there is no
questioning that... but if you watch her sing, it is very troublesome. It's
not all about what you hear, because that is the sound engineer's
domain. Voice training involves watching as well as listening...I have to
disagree with you about the
rest of your sentence. Again, it's a question of listening to the voice
without the interference of electronics. We haven't got that option, for
the most part."

> I read about one pop
singer-songwriter being horrified when a sound engineer said to her, "I like
working with you because I don't have to use pitch modification software
like
I do with XYZ." (Granted, that wasn't very tactful of him.) This singer
was
especially horrifed because singer XYZ didn't write her own music - all she
did was sing, and she couldn't do that in tune???<

I forgot the name of the software. Isn't that Pro-Tools?? I know it can be
used live too to boost the voice.

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com