Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Lea Ann" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Wed Nov 7, 2001  10:00 pm
Subject:  layers of sound anyone?

Okay here's a question for you smarties.

Just back from my voice lesson. My voice still sounds very one layered to
me...I can't quite explain what I mean...the only way I can really explain is to
compare it to Cecilia Bartoli (ha ha ha) who's voice sounds like it's layer upon
layer upon layer...Soooo I made a little CD of 7 people singing Caro Mio
Ben...all opera "stars" and guess what....not many of them had that heavily
layered sound...some voices sounded almost as one layered and I want to say
shrill but I don't quite mean that...I mean more "single" their voices lack a
depth..and of course my voice REALLY lacks depth (in head tone anyway)...

I tried to explain this to my voice teacher and this is what she told me, she
said it was about resonance...and learning to place the sound in the head but
adding resonance from the back of the throat to that head tone. She also said
it was about low breath. Soooooo head tone plus low breath plus resonance from
back of the throat = layered sound?

The one layered sound is not unpleasant at all...but it's like having a pizza
crust without the sauce the cheese and toppings. So much better with all
those...and you know I am still without a clue as to how to achieve low
breath...or ressonance in head tone....I do well each week just to keep head
tone..pushing and keeping my soft palette "up there" is a challenge for me...I
am not a nasal talker..I have a hard hard time doing Mickey Mouse impressions
and head tone feels weird to me...sometimes I feel like I am doing an impression
of comedian Jerry Lewis singing in Italian...it feels false...although I will
admit when it happens it feels effortless to my throat this is the only way I
know I am doing it correctly.

So anyone else have a thought? How bout all you Cecilia Bartoli lovers...what
makes up that sound and how is it different from other voices that don't sound
"rich"?

Lea Ann

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
15188 Re: layers of sound anyone?Greypins@a...   Thu  11/8/2001
15227 Re: layers of sound anyone?Kevin Hollis   Fri  11/9/2001
15257 Re: layers of sound anyone?John Link   Sun  11/11/2001
15235 Re: layers of sound anyone?Martyn Clark   Fri  11/9/2001
15273 Re: layers of sound anyone?Kevin Hollis   Mon  11/12/2001
15275 Re: layers of sound anyone?Martyn Clark   Mon  11/12/2001

emusic.com