Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  9:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist]learning an entire role?

In a message dated 8/3/2001 3:30:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
fionat@i... writes:

> Thoughts on this topic? Why learn a whole role when you haven't been cast?
> Is it a waste if you never perform it? What are good first roles to learn,
> for singers who haven't had a lot of lead roles, or even better - what is a

Definitely it's a benefit to know the whole role for performing your
excerpted arias. No question. I think the timing to learn a role just for the
sake of it is an important parameter for deciding whether you want to make
that time committment. I would recommend doing it once you have broken
through to the inside track of the professional opera circuit (via smaller
solo roles at A companies or Apprentice Programs, or what have you) so that
you are in a position to perhaps be called at the last minute for
substitution in that role. Or to be called by your agent at the last minute
to audition for that role. Pick a role you know you were born to do. Be
ready, and once the impresarios know who you are and what you can do, knowing
that role will serve you extremely well.
TinaO

emusic.com