Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Mar 5, 2001  1:41 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Pencils and corks in the mouth

In a message dated 3/4/2001 6:01:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
johnlink@c... writes:

<< That said, I like a lot of Rod Stewart's work. He sings in a
straight-forward, unaffected way that appeals to me. But when I hear
his rasp I wonder how he would sound without it. >>

john,

my favorite bob dylan album is 'self portrait'. on it, he sings in his
old manner that made him infamous and the manner we first started hearing in
'lay lady, lay'. he changes depending on the song he is singing. i can't
imagine liking the album as much as i still do if he had made the reverse
choices. to put it another way, there are old movies where cary grant was
the right choice and movies where humphrey bogart was the right choice.

mike

emusic.com