Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Tue Feb 27, 2001  6:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Breathing [WAS:Trumpet Training Tool]

Diane M. Clark wrote:

>Sorry I am so late in replying to this message. I have two of the gizmos you
>are describing. The name of the instrument is "Incentive Deep Breathing
>Exerciser" and the brand I have is Triflo II. This device was given to my
>mother years ago during a hospital stay, and I confiscated it for use in my
>voice studio. There are three balls in plastic tubes. One requires
>600 cc per
>sec to keep the ball afloat. The second requires 900 cc, the third
>1200. This
>device is used to help people in bed breathe more deeply so they
>don't contract
>pneumonia.
>
>The benefit to the singer is simply that it encourages one to breathe more
>deeply and fully. However, since the device is used while inhaling, it does
>not have any relationship to the breath pressure used in phonation (exhaling).

If you'd like to improve the ease of your breathing and your ability
to adjust your breathing to the demands of the situation, I would
suggest private lessons (Functional Integration) or group classes
(Awareness Through Movement) with a Feldenkrais Practitioner. See my
two-part article
<http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/author/view_author_info.gsp?auth_id=7069\
81>The
Feldenkrais Method for Singers. To find a Feldenkrais practitioner
visit <http://www.feldenkrais.com>www.feldenkrais.com.

Be well,

John Link
Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner

The John Link Vocal Quintet is now on mp3.com!
Check it out: www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet