Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 3, 2001  7:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Tchaikovski

<< do you believe i even found carmen in german? yes! bizet's carmen!!!! so
strange :)

I was under the impression that all operas presented for German audiences
were done in either original German or translated German, and I wouldn't find
it hard to believe that a German version was published for each standard
opera. Tell me, did this German version incorporate spoken dialog? In the
case of Carmen, it's not so far fetched, as the version with spoken dialog
(opera comique) has enjoyed some daylight. Could some of our resident
experts comment on whether this was Bizet's original or not? The German
Carmen would appear as a singspiel, I'd think.

emusic.com