Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Maria Razumova" <masha@p...>
"Maria Razumova" <masha@p...>
Date:  Fri Mar 2, 2001  7:11 pm
Subject:  Re: Tchaikovski

Hi Bruna,

Being Russian - it is a little disappointing to hear Tchaikovsky's songs
sang in German.
It is something like singing Schubert in French, because German is too hard,
and English is too simple...

I do not think Russian is much harder then German - so, if translate, why
not to English (as a singer's native language) then? Though I can see the
point that for some reasons German translations - meaning and phrasing - of
Russian song texts is much closer then English...

I can recommend Olga Borodina's CD of his songs - great mezzo and very good
interpretation, and Dmitry Hvorostovsky's "Russian Romances" - though I'd
like to warn you about simplified interpretation (I do like Hvorostovsky a
lot - but his singing is a little too cold... - perfect for Onegin, but not
for art songs).

Maria

www.cs.wisc.edu/~boris/maha

emusic.com