Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 2, 2001  2:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The /u/ vowel

In a message dated 3/2/2001 9:11:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
caiorossi@i... writes:

<< I just think you should take care with that. i used to do some exercises
with a cork in my mouth ( as prescribed by my speech therapist ), and that
ended up causing big pain in the jaw. I couldn't even bite an apple for
days.

According to another speech therapist, a big shot orthodontist said it was
crazy to do that kind of thing, because it may aggravate or create jaw
tension ( TJM? ). >>

caio,

the pencil thing is just something i use to illustrate a point. i do
lots of ridiculous things to make points to my students; i have some stick
three fingers in their mouths and try to sing 'oo', some sing into paper
towels, some stretch rubber bands while sustaining long notes, some shake
their butts while vocalizing 'gosh, oh golly, how i love to sing', i have had
a student's husband tickle her while she sang, i had one student wear a red
clown's wig while singing 'the farmer and the cowman' from oklahoma (you
should have seen the look on the school director's face when she walked in
accidently), etc., etc. the point being that something like holding a
pencil in your mouth for five minutes out of your entire life is not going to
lead to vocal ruin and may help if it illustrates a point. if someone wants
to take one of the five thousand things i say to them and blow it totally out
of proportion and make a whole technique out of it then, perrhaps, i would
serve them better by euthanizing them instead of continuing to teach them to
sing.

i'm happy to hear you are better.

mike

emusic.com