Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Thu Mar 1, 2001  11:16 pm
Subject:  Re: TA and vocalis, are they the same?

Lloyd wrote:

> I am not always sure what is meant by the vocalis muscle when, in
>the same paragraph the thyroarytenoid muscles are also mentioned.
>In some texts a major distinction is made between these two as
>separate muscle systems and in other texts the vocalis muscle is an
>inclusive term that means both the thyrovocalis and the
>thyromuscularis and, sometimes, others. Some clarity here would
>help.

Lloyd, you make a fine point here. It seems that there is still
much debate as to whether the vocalis muscle exists as a discernably
seperate muscle, and whether its muscle fibers insert into the vocal
ligament. In (1952) Wustrow identified the portion of the TA that
inserts into the vocal process as the THYROVOCALIS(vocalis)muscle.
He also identified the portion that inserts along the base of the
arytenoid cartilage and the muscular process as the THYROMUSCULARIS,
as you mention in your post.
It seems rather difficult at this point to give absolute clarity
on this issue- further studies need to be done. To keep it simple, I
always use vocalis and TA as synonyms because the thyrovocalis is a
PART of the thyroarytenoid muscle. This may lead to some confusion,
as you point out, but when talking anatomy- SIMPLE is often the best
way to go.

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy