Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 1, 2001  3:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Vennard/Hirano study and pedagogy

In a message dated 2/28/01 11:03:58 PM Central Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:
taylor23f@h... writes:

> ).
> Each day at LSU I hear singers work tirelessly on their top
> voice, pounding away at it time and time again. When the same singer
> goes into the lower range their is nothing there......hardly any
> sound at all. But, it's counter intuitive to think,"my top stinks-
> because my lower register stinks" so we just keep pounding away at
> the top and get the voice more misbalanced. BALANCE is the key!

The problem here, in the female voice, is that they do not coordinate out of
chest. Not enough TA activity means the folds do not adduct properly on the
bottom, need excessive airflow to engage Bernoulli and extrinsic muscle
involvement to complete the process. Most classical pedagogies discourage
chest on the bottom, but a connected sound coming out of chest makes the
adduction more efficient and requires less air to complete the process. I
teach a chest coordination and the high notes of my female singers become
easier because of it.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9872 Re: Chest-register in voice training taylor23f@h...   Thu  3/1/2001   5 KB