Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 27, 2001  3:37 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Wedding Anniversary rep.

I recently sang for someone's 75th birthday and did a search of music written
on all the important dates of her life - started out with a song parody to
the tune of "Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue" since she and the song both came to
be in 1925, did a couple of other songs from the 20s, moved into songs that
meant a lot to her and her late husband, war era stuff, big band, and for the
50s, I sang the song "Count Your Blessings" by Irving Berlin from the movie
musical WHITE CHRISTMAS. According to the copyright in my Irving Berlin
book, that song dates from 1952 (though my copy of the movie says 1954).
One of my students is working on that for her grandparents' 50th anniversary
next year.

It might be close enough to use that song - and if they've had a large family
(or maybe they had their first child that year or by the year of the movie?),
it would be a nice sentiment. If you want to find something from that year,
do some research.

When in doubt, use Irving Berlin ... that's my new motto in life. For
example, the song "Always" has a nice sentiment for a long-term couple --
"Not for just an hour, not for just a day, not for just a year, but always."
Plus it's a nice waltz and it could be danced to. ("Nice beat, Dick, I can
dance to it.")

Chris

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com