Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Sat Feb 24, 2001  9:23 pm
Subject:  Re: Boolean Combinations.

I'm not locally aware of my VP either. I know whether I'm singing
nasally by the timbre, and through use of the 'historic Italianate'
method of pinching your nose (ha), but otherwise I can't tell what's
going on in there. Consequently, most discussion on raising/lowering
the soft palate is generally lost on me, because I'm not able to
consciously do anything about it. This is unfortunate for me
personally, because one of my teacher's candy sticks is 'raising the
zygomatic arch, which will then raise the soft palate.'

On the other hand, I DO have a good deal of conscious control over my
larynx, which many people don't seem to have. I can raise or lower it
at will, at the source, not through the tongue depression that some
people use to manipulate it. It's as natural as pointing a finger.
Would I say it is 'rather odd' if someone can't do this? No, it just
appears that everybody is wired slightly differently. Along the same
lines, I can raise one eyebrow at a time, but I can't roll my tongue.

Just my thoughts...
-John

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Linda Fox <vocalist-temporary@y..., Linda Fox < >
> > But now I understand that we can eliminate 256 of those
> > possibilities because the raised palate follows, (or leads)
> > the velum in its action?
>
> I thought Lloyd was saying that _doesn't_ follow. Or is it me (sorry, is
> it I ;) ) who haven't followed?
> <snipping the rest of your interesting post in the interests of
> brevity>
>
> It sounded as though you were implying that you can't feel, at source,
> whether or not the velar port is open. If that's the case I find it
> rather odd. I do remember about a year or so ago someone else asserting
> that you couldn't feel the action of the velum at source. I certainly
> can, it feels very obvious to me, though I have known pupils who say
> they can't feel it. At least one other VocaLister wrote to say (s)he
> could also feel it. Does that mean the world is divided into two kinds
> of people, those who can feel the velum and those who can't?
>
> Or in fact, to follow on from the Booleian thread, four kinds, since the
> world is already divided into those who divide the world into two kinds
> of people and those who don't...
>
> cheers
>
> Linda
>
> Currently teaching class music in primary school (age 4-11) and very
> much enjoying it, but battling with laryngeal problems

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9763 Re: Boolean Combinations. Reg Boyle   Sat  2/24/2001   2 KB

emusic.com