Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 23, 2001  8:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cabaret Songs

In a message dated 02/23/2001 12:48:08 PM Central Standard Time,
despina@p... writes:
despina@p... writes:

<< Has anyone heard Jody Applebaum's "Masterpieces of Cabaret" album? What a
wonderful discovery! I recently bought it because I'll be working on
Britten's "Cabaret Songs" soon, and was totally blown away, both by Ms.
Applebaum's interpretation and by the other songs on the album, (esp. the
Bolcom pieces -- they're a hoot!). Previously I knew very little about the
cabaret genre (is there one?), and I do belie >>

Is this the piece you're talking about?

Farewell to Boheme - Cabaret Songs / Hamelin, Applebaum

That was the only thing I could find on Amazon.com, and it wasn't available
just yet.

I've done the Bolcom set twice (the first book, not the second). Once as
part of an ensemble and staged, the second time by myself - lots of fun.

I've done some cabaret work - I'd like to do a lot more. There is a cabaret
association based in Chicago - they have a website but I don't have the
bookmark anymore.

Some good cabaret singers are Maureen McGovern, early Barbra Streisand (the
first CD of her self-indulgent collection is really fantastic), Kim Criswell,
Barbara Cook.... that's all I can give you right now.

Have fun!

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9736 Re: Cabaret Songs Trevor Allen   Fri  2/23/2001   2 KB

emusic.com