Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Feb 23, 2001  1:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] OFFISH: Real Audio crashing, was Demo CD

Those buffering hiccups are due to Real Audio's use of non-guaranteed
delivery packets - if you get 'em, fine; if you don't... All information
travels in packets; in most cases, an algorithm included in each packet
tells both the receiving computer and the sending computer whether all the
information has been received or not. If not, the sending computer
resends the information. Alas, Real Audio does not include this info in
its packets. Ergo, hiccups.

Mark Montgomery