Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
Date:  Fri Feb 23, 2001  5:06 am
Subject:  OFFISH: Real Audio crashing, was Demo CD

thomas mark montgomery wrote:

> ...if you have Real Jukebox on your computer (part of the Real Audio
> system), you can rip an mp3 and then simply post it as a file on your
> webpage. ...
> http://www.real.com

A question for Mark or any "techie" out there - About a year ago, I downloaded
the
free version of Real Audio for Windows 98 (version 7, maybe?) and found that it
seemed to crash quite a bit and I think it also caused other programs to crash.
subsequently tried one more newer version with the same result, so I basically
gave up and uninstalled all of it. I have heard of other folks with the same
problem. I'm leasing a Compaq Presario 1255 laptop with only 32 megs RAM,
which I
think may be part of the problem, though other things like MusicMatch Jukebox
and
Windows MediaPlayer seem to work o.k. on my computer, though the "buffering"
thing
is a common kind of pain with all of them... Anybody have any other ideas on
this
so I could once again enjoy the benefits of Real Audio? Would adding more RAM
do
the trick, or do I need to do something else? I don't really have money to
throw
at stuff like this, unless I know it's something that will really work...?!

While I'm thinking about this, can any of you suggest really "user friendly"
websites for techie questions like this, especially for "untechies" like me? I
don't recall things like the Real Audio FAQ being very helpful... Maybe I need
to a search on something like "The Complete Dummy's Guide to Internet Audio..."
:o)

Feel free to respond on or off-list. Thanks very much for any help...

Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>
Michael Eckford <michaelb@i...>

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9718 Re: OFFISH: Real Audio crashing, was Demo CD Helen Phare   Fri  2/23/2001   2 KB
9722 Re: OFFISH: Real Audio crashing, was Demo CD thomas mark montgomery   Fri  2/23/2001   3 KB
9719 Re: OFFISH: Real Audio crashing, was Demo CD Greypins@a...   Fri  2/23/2001   2 KB
9720 Re: OFFISH: Real Audio crashing, was Demo CD Dre de Man   Fri  2/23/2001   2 KB

emusic.com