Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Feb 22, 2001  2:48 am
Subject:  Boolean Combinations.

Thanks for the reference Lloyd.
That was just my little joke about the Boolean combinations
intended to bring home how many possibilities there are.

Of course if we add in all the other variables,again sticking
to the extremes of each variable, like tongue, lips, pharynx,
ribs, intercostals and sub-glottal pressure we have at least
NINE variables and that's 512 possibilities of different
combinations.... and of course that is by no means the limit.
##
But now I understand that we can eliminate 256 of those
possibilities because the raised palate follows, (or leads)
the velum in its action?

from Lloyd.....
>Simply, raise the soft palate with the simultaneously lowering of the
>larynx. Establish this feeling then do the same with the mouth closed as
>you inhale through the nose. The palate is still slightly raised but the
>velopharyngeal port is open to permit the inhale through the nose and the
>larynx has descended as it does with the raising of the palate.

Isn't this specifically related to inhaling though?

Still clinging to the fact that the lowering of the larynx is
questionable.....(lowered relative to what?)......if my larynx
does not descend while singing, must I presume that I have
failed in my attempts to ensure that the velum has been
effectively closed?

I suspect that the tone is the best check of this condition,
but if a lowered larynx is a positive attribute, is it also a
major indicator of the effective action of the velum and
soft palate? I am suspicious of the 'yawn' as a means of
attaining this lowered larynx.

Do you agree with the yawn or do you have another way
of activating these three conditions?

Two questions in relation to opening and closing the velum
as an exercise. To hum with the mouth and nose closed is
obviously an impossibility, yet if ,while trying to do this I stop
squeezing my nose, the hum begins, clearly the velum is
open and what breath there is, is out flowing.
If while doing this hum in the new state, I now open
my mouth, am I correct in assuming that the velum closes?
A retest by squeezing the nose again seems to indicate that
the velum has closed automatically.

Assuming that it has closed, but my larynx has not
descended, should I accept the tone as it is, or strive for
the lowered larynx and presume the tone resulting will be
more attractive? I'm using Ummm...ah.. and hoping the tip
of the tongue remains in contact with the lower front teeth.

Regards Reg.

emusic.com