Vocalist.org archive

From:  kjensen@c...
kjensen@c...
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  9:02 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the value of a music degree

Isabelle B. wrote:
>For my own part, I speak having gone to university in
>a non-music field, now gathering skills on my own.... I read books on
>history, theory, criticism, biographies; I study
>languages and roles; I take dance and Alexander
>classes; I attend performances and concerts in the
>city. What am I missing? Two possibilities: peers and student performance
>opportunities. How important is it to be surrounded
>by peers when learning to sing? How important is it
>to have a safe (i.e., out of the public eye)
>performance space to test out one's yet-under-caliber
>wings, and can this be reconstructed in regional
>theater? And are there other things I should be
>finding an equivalent for?

I think regional theatre (straight drama?) is a great way to
develop acting skills. You also need places to sing and get feedback.
Master Classes are possible, but I think that adjudicated competitions are
best, like we have in Canada in the music festival system. A question for
you: In your studies do you feel that it's just you and your teacher, or do
you have others to interact with? Does your teacher include you with her
other students in group events, trips to concerts, concerts? This might
create a sense of being in a peer group.
After having done a degree I can understand why you might not want
to be in a music programme since you now don't have ensemble requirements,
etc. etc. However, you will be missing performance opportunities that small
music schools offer: recitals, opera workshop, etc. Would study at a
conservatory be an option for you? They have such things.
But if you are greatly enjoying your teacher, then stay with
him/her and find ways to fill the holes. For an opera career, you are
right, the audition and the rep list are the two most important
considerations.

Cheers, karen Jensen

emusic.com