Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Wed Feb 21, 2001  5:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] the value of a music degree

In a message dated 02/21/2001 10:02:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mezzoid@a... writes:
Mezzoid@a... writes:

<<
<< What does a college degree give that one can't put together better,
living
in a city (San Francisco, in my case) and studying
languages/theory/piano/voice/coachings on my own, reading music history and
autobiographies, going to the symphony and opera and ballet and concerts?
What could a degree program possibly provide me with that I can't recreate
on
my own? >> >>

i agree with the reasons others have put forth as to why a music degree is
important.

however, i also believe that in this competitive world, it is a way to weed
out those with the discipline and perseverance to gun it through a degree
program from those who haven't. this may not be completely right or fair,
but like it or not, it is an easy way to assess what a person has done.

if you undertake that self-study program you outlined, you may well have as
good an education as a degreed person (with the caveat mentioned, that you
might not know what was valuable to study on your own) but it may be harder
to convince people.

they might think, well, if she was disciplined enough to learn all that on
her own, why didn't she go ahead and get the degree anyway?

also, i can't imagine having the motivation or discipline to study theory,
counterpoint, etc. on my own. if you can do it, i salute you.

merry

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9675 Re: the value of a music degree Isabelle Bracamonte   Wed  2/21/2001   3 KB

emusic.com