Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  5:03 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Taste of blood (Poor vocal technique?)

Nande,

Tasting blood may be just a slight drainage from the sinuses into the
back of the throat. It could be the breaking of small capillaries in
either the throat or nasal passages. May be due to dryness, allergies
or a cold. I suppose it could be due to vocal straining, but I have no
experience with this phenomenon. Difficult to tell if it is anything
more serious without getting an examination by a physician or doing as
Jerome Hines recommends and looking at the cords themselves. Other
signs of wounded cords would be present... hoarseness, loss of range,
difficulty initiating tones, raspiness, and on a consistent basis.
Bleeding cords would have to be due to a burst blood vessel or polyp
that burst and I doubt you'd taste that. More likely it came from above
and dripped down. Sorry about the gross graphic.

Gina

> The first post in the current belt-discussion, featured a girl who
> had sensations of the taste of blood in combination with singing.
> This scared me a little; I had no idea this was even possible.
> Unfortunately, there were no comments on this particular
> phenomenon....
> So: my question: is it really possible to end up bleeding (and
> perhaps wounding the cords severely)? Or is it just a sensation and
> not really blood?
> I'm curious because I too have had this experience in the past,
> before I started taking serious lessons, and it scared me senseless.
> But then I forgot about it, until I read this post......

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9638 Re: Taste of blood (Poor vocal technique?) Nande   Tue  2/20/2001   3 KB

emusic.com