Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  3:00 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] New on my site: S.O.B. Manifesto Visitor Comments

Liz, and List, but not Liszt,
I've been lucky to be able to stay away from microphones in my singing,
though as a classical guitarist I confess to having found discrete
amplification useful when I was but the source of background music (forgive
me, I thought it would lead somewhere!).
No, the odd inverted problem I had was, a couple of years ago I was to
sing the bass solos in a choral work of Central American origin with a big
battery of percussion. The solo part had low E s, *while the percussion was
playing*. It eventually dawned on me that the work was intended to have
amplified soloists, though the score gave no such indication. From this
meagre experience, and a couple of other things I deduce that there exists
in Latin America - at least - a fairly lively tradition of quasi-classical
music which uses amplification regularily. Comments from Caio and others?
john
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada