Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  1:32 am
Subject:  off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, IL USA

Little rant here - all of you have heard it at onetime or another -
your favorite (or one of your favorite) radio station's expires
because of financial difficulties; or, on this happy note, sells out
to a big payday ($175 million worth to Bonneville Broadcasting of
Salt lake City, UT). Good for the owners - Mr. & Mrs. Florian!
Their ma & pa operation (small,sole proprietorship) was the No. 1
classical music radio station in a two classical radio station city!
Unusual! What's more unusual - they were consistently No. 1
over the significantly more powerful & (high brow) 98.7 FM WFMT
(& sister TV station to the PBS pioneer WTTW) & the station that
broadcasts the Met matinees & the Lyric Opera of Chicago
(which aren't bad...if someone would just gag Lois Baum)!

With NIB's passing - there's no more: Vocal Scene w/ George
Jellinek, Sunday Evening Opera or Karl Haas! These will be
missed - truly. Even "Zephyr" a daily early evening program
of light classics - kaput!!

And what of the "new" NIB? Until things get settled with the
new owners - they have dedicated one "star" performer per day;
day one brought Barbra Streisand, but prior to her appearance -
the geniuses decided to begin their broadcast day in Chicago by
playing "New York, New York". They sure wanted to endear themeselves
to their new listening audience - the goofs! The following days have
brought C &W, The BeachBoys, The Rolling Stones & Frank Sinatra.

Well, I promised a little rant - I've overrun my limit - I apologize.

Anyone else from Chicago affected by this turn of events?

Rant over...sniff.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9620 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, MFoxy9795@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9622 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, Mezzoid@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9626 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, buzzcen@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9630 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, dorisopran@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9632 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, MFoxy9795@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9639 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, dorisopran@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9640 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, MFoxy9795@a...   Tue  2/20/2001   2 KB
9647 Re: off-topic: the death of 97.1 FM WNIB Chicago, Patricia M Smith   Tue  2/20/2001   4 KB

emusic.com