Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  12:53 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] was healthy belt is now college musical theater programs

Dear Randy and Diane and Vocalisters;

We, at NAU, offer no degree in Music Theatre. Only a degree in Vocal
Performance. It is our attempt to help the student develop a
technique that is functionally healthy and will allow the singer to
move in any direction that their choices will take them. I believe
that is possible.

Belting o,r a belt like sound, has not always been a part of music
theatre and it will, very likely, not always be a part of music
theatre. Because music theatre is a more variably genre than
traditional opera and because music theatre is more directly
influenced by electronic media it is reasonable to assume that music
theatre will continue its migration towards we know not what.

Any singing technique that does not concern itself with the whys and
hows of vocal function will not serve the singer who must be
continuously available for the changing demands of music theatre.
There will always be talented singers who will create whatever sound
is desired without knowing what they are doing and will, eventually,
destroy themselves. But no institution can afford to embrace that
approach to singing.

It is my personal feeling that music theatre degrees are not very
likely to serve adequately the needs of the student because those
needs are continually changing. Institutions are not good at hitting
a moving targets. Institutions are best at codifying what is an
essence of an art and relating that essence to the rest of the world
of art. It is possible for institutions to also teach skills along
with the study of such essence but their work in this area is never
complete enough. The final development of skills (singing) is in the
hands of the singer who must have some form of tutoring to rise to
the level required by the on-going profession.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com