Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Feb 20, 2001  12:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: soft palate lift

Dear Vocalisters:

Although I have never met a singer who can raise the soft palate
without simultaneously lowering the larynx I would not suppose that
it could not be done. However, why would one want to avoid lowering
the larynx in such a natural way?

To Christine I would say that raising the palate is possible while
yet producing a nasal tone which means the velum is open. I think it
is a mistake to assume that raising the palate is the only way to
close the velum, if that is what you are suggesting.

To all who have indicated that they can raise the palate without the
larynx moving down, I would ask how they know for sure that they are,
truly, raising the palate. Often singers feel they are raising the
palate when, in fact, they are merely tensing the muscles that extend
backward from the zygomatic arch. Such tensing creates a harder
surface in the soft palate area which is usually not desirable.
Raising the palate normally does not create this tense, roof of the
mouth feeling.

The "dog eating peanut butter" metaphor describes a method of raising
the palate that is not desirable but is closer to the above
description of the tensing the roof of the mouth.

Randy has often said that he feels the attention to this "raising the
palate" is not necessary and, basically, I would agree with him.
Choices of vowels and the awareness of how vowels are produced will
often achieve this same goal. That goal is to achieve the correct
resonance space which varies for each tone sung such that the vocal
tract is matched to the sung pitch to provide the phonated tone with
resonance space that enhances the tone and makes clear the language.
There is no one correct vocal tract space adjustment that will work
for all, or even most of the pitches required of the singer. A
flexible process of adjustment of the vocal tract is the hallmark of
every accomplished singer.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy