Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 19, 2001  7:32 pm
Subject:  Re: Liza Lehmann

Leslie Jones wrote:

> At 10:04 AM 2/13/01 +0000, Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...> wrote:
> >Lilli and Lotte are not the same person.
>
> And to add to the confusion, there's also *Liza* Lehmann! I don't
> have a Baker's handy, but I believe she was British and composed around the
> turn of the century -- fun stuff, like "Four Cautionary Tales and a Moral",
> and what sounds truly campy to our modern ears, the cycle "In a Persian
> Garden," along with lots of individual songs.

You are correct - from Baker's - her full name was Elizabetha Nina Mary
Frederica, an
English soprano of German-Scotch parentage, born 1862, died 1918, lived as a
child in
Germany, France, and Italy. It says that among the guests at her house in Rome
was
Lizst. She studied voice in London and composition in Germany. It said she got
married to
painter/composer Herbert Bedfore in 1894, at which time she retired from the
stage, and
devoted herself to composition. It says she was the first English woman
composer to enjoy
success with a large public. "In a Persian Garden" sets text from the Rubaiyat
of Omar
Khayyam for four singers and piano. It also said that she toured the USA in
1910
accompanying at the piano singers concerts of her songs.

Sounds like her music is worth checking out.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com