Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon Feb 19, 2001  3:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] diction: german ach sound

Dear Gina and co vocalisters,

according to 'Die Kunst des Sprechens' there is a front ch and a back ch.
Normally this is related to the vowel: lighter vowels such as [i] as in
'cheese' will generate the frontal 'ch', darker vowels the back 'ch'.
It is made in fact by just stopping to phonate and using your abdomen. People
without I think it is called tonsil? ('Zäpfchen') might have more difficulties
with it, because this should start to vibrate. A very strong 'ch' will make the
tongue vibrate
Sometimes (after a 'genitive-s' e.g. in Krach's) it goes back even more. It's
intensity is made by your abdomen. The intensity is very much
context-dependant. If you would utter a little pity with somebody else, it
should be quite weak, but in most romantic songs, the 'ach' is there to
emphasise (not a typo, but English!) the suffering of the romantic hero, and
then it should be stronger. (Some people would see this suffering as self-pity,
but that does not change the 'ach').

Anyway: I put no less than four examples on our site (after deleting the two
Dalla sua pace-files)

The first one is Dietrich Fischer Dieskau with Gerald Moore: in the example
('und ach! ich kann es nicht glauben, daß ich dich verloren hab' from 'Ihr
Bild', Schwanengesang) you hear a stronger 'ach'. Please note the difference
between the 'ch' in 'Ich', and in 'ach'.

Then Blochwitz and Rudolf Jansen. Blochwitz has to sing 'ach' two times, and
varies it (i.m.o. as it should): the first time it is quite weak, and the
second time more like DFD's 'ach'. I also listened to Elly Ameling Jörg Demus
in the same song, but there the ch was hardly audible, if at all. Maybe La
Ameling in all her vocal perfection was afraid to make the 'ach' too Dutch.

The two following examples I made myself. Don't be afraid: it is not me
singing, but just reading two of the verses you can find in 'Die Kunst des
Sprechens'.

I think the verses are great to practice diction; that is what you ought to do
with them at least. (Just by recording them, I found out I should do it more
often: thanks for reminding me in this way! One of the examples I had to record
12 times, before it was ok!)

The first one shows an 'ach' that is (almost) too strong, but I liked to show
the maximum and I could not find that on c.d.'s.
The second one only shows frontal ch's.
I don't want to suggest this is perfect, but as demonstration of the different
sounds, it is good enough, I think.

Best greetings,

Dré

emusic.com