Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 19, 2001  2:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: healthy belt

In a message dated 2/18/01 7:10:33 PM Central Standard Time,
lsgdiva@y... writes:

> As for the negative comments about teaching belting - come on! Belting is
> here to stay - and we have to learn to live with it. I personally made a
> nice piece of change belting (I gave it up because I was sick of the lack
> of interesting music to sing in that genre) SO let's teach kids the RIGHT
> way to do it that will lead to a long healthy career.
>
> Lorraine

The more I think of this, the more I'm coming to the conclusion we may be in
a semantic war. Probably, it you heard some of my students you would call it
a belt. However, I do think there are some major differences in what we are
talking about.

I would never advocate a higher laryngeal position. I've done extensive
observation, course work in my slp studies, original research on a rehab
program for post op pop singers and a higher laryngeal position is a killer.

I also narrow the vowels in the middle, they wouldn't sound like the belters
Barry describes and it that's the definition of belting that is healthy, by
the sound alone it is sounds pressed and splatty (especially dion and
lupone), and is not a good example of what a commercial sound should be.
They are both pulling chest as where other singers discussed are not.

I'm beginning to think that what you all are referring to as belt I would
call a hard mix, but it is not what dion does or lupone. It's much more
streisand like.

By the way, did any of you catch my student (Lauren Frost) on the Streisand
special?

Randy Buescher

emusic.com