Vocalist.org archive

From:  taylor23f@h...
taylor23f@h...
Date:  Sat Feb 17, 2001  4:44 pm
Subject:  Re: Healthy belt: general ideas- question for Barry

Barry wrote:

> 7) It is ok for the larynx to become SLIGHTLY elevated. It
should not
> be shoved up.
>
> 8) It uses good soft palate lift but without the usual laryngeal
lowering.

Dear Barry,

I have greatly enjoyed reading your insightful posts about the
belt voice. I have a question in regard to what you wrote above.

When the soft palate is brought into contact with the posterior
pharyngeal wall it is considered to be in a fully raised position,
thus closing of the nasal cavities completely.
The larynx and soft palate work inversely: soft palate goes up-
larynx lowers/soft palate goes down- larynx goes up- this fact is
well supported in the literature. So here is my question: When you
say "good soft palate lift but without the usual laryngeal lowering",
am I correct in thinking that the larynx is then slightly elevated,
which causes the palate to lower slightly, which will thus couple the
nasal cavity to the sound? From a physiological standpoint,
laryngeal height would not allow full closure of the soft palate
because of the inverse relationship of these muscles- so nasality
seems unavoidable as a byproduct. Any thoughts?

Take Care All,

Taylor L. Ferranti
DMA Candidate in Vocal Pedagogy
Louisiana State University