Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  6:01 pm
Subject:  Wunderlich/Blochwitz

Thanks, Dre, for the sound files. You truly are De Man.
(My computer is having a hard time right now, so I couldn't hear the
last few seconds of either clip, but I think I was able to hear enough
to get the jist.)

It's very interesting to compare these two singers. It's sounds to me
as though Wunderlich sings with a very open production throughout. On
the phrase '*La* mia dipende', with the high G (a G minus in this
case), only at the very last instant does he slightly modify the vowel
and 'cover' ("La-awe" or "La-uh") The rest of the time it's 'open'
singing. Also, 'quel che le incresce' is entirely open as well, which
is surprising considering the [e] vowel usually induces head voice
sooner than the second passaggio point (as Lloyd just mentioned).

Blochwitz seems to use a light head mixture throughout. I saw him give
a live performance of Die Schoene Muellerin, and I felt as though he
never sang a truly full-voiced sound in the upper register that
night(voce piena in testa). It was a wonderful concert, though.

I'm curious; do you believe it is possible to maintain the 'open'
production in the passaggio that Wunderlich uses, but reduce the
dynamic to piano? Or must one cover these notes to bring the dynamic
level down all the way?

Many thanks!
-John
P.S. It seems as though my message on 'humidity' took almost two days
to make it to the list, and my post prior to that didn't appear at all.
Is anyone else having these difficulties? I know Yahoo has issues all
the time. I hope it's not the Thought Police...

emusic.com