Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  10:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] repost of older message?? re: Healthy belt

In a message dated 2/16/2001 2:15:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bounousb@i... writes:
bounousb@i... writes:

<< I thought I was making the most horrendous sound
imaginable - but at least, to my great surprise, it didn't hurt at all
and I found myself, as a bass-baritone, hitting high 'C's, 'D''s and
'E's in the tenor range. It wasn't until I later listened to the tape
that I realized it was a functional sound, not a beautiful sound. It
was a sound designed to convey emotion and character in specific
situations that my classical technique could not. And after a 45 minute
lesson, my throat felt no more strain than in a classical lesson.
Perhaps less because I was actually singing softer than normal for me.
A good belt is tricky for some people (there are of course a few
naturals) and students and teachers alike should not try to just fake
it. But when done correctly the technique can produce an electric sound
like none other. It is a worthwhile field of study and should not be
demonized. >>

barry,

i too, in the past year have expanded my vocalizing range to the F above
tenor high C. using it, however, has not happened yet as it sounds kind of
scary (as in robert plant scary). it's easy as hell and i find myself
pushing the envelope as if it were some kind of guiness record attempt but, i
have a hard time connecting it to singing.

i am also interested in 'belting' but, i have found most references to
it to be vague and contradicting. would you mind outlining some of the
approaches you use in teaching belt? also, if you have any thoughts on the
subject in the above paragraph, i'd appreciate the feedback (i pretty much
consider myself a bass-baritone as well, sounding like a cross between josef
metternich and barry manilow).

thanks,
mike

emusic.com