Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  2:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Belt examples

In a message dated 2/16/01 4:58:22 AM Central Standard Time, Greypins@a...
writes:

> randy,
>
> suppose a student came to you with that cd and said "i want to sing
> like
> what would you do, help the student
> toward that goal despite your feelings, campaign to convince the student
> that
> aiming for barbra would be better or, would you just say "sorry son, i
> don't
> teach that way"?
>

> mike

I'd do several things. I'd educate them on why a mix is healthier, still
serves the purpose of the music aesthetically and that a huge segment of the
population (or all of the population that buys this music) will except it as
appropriate for the music.

I'd inform them when all is said and done that they should not try to sound
like either but themselves and that they need to develop a HEALTHY technique
that serves the music they want to sing.

I'd play them examples of the numerous examples of artists I've worked with
that have records out on major labels or have major production deals so they
can hear what I teach and how it applies to the music they want to sing.

As for the last statement in your post, the one that starts with "Sorry
son,", I'd point them to a psychologist for concealing about gender confusion.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com