Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  2:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The /u/ vowel

In a message dated 2/15/2001 1:18:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< One comment. I do not approve of the practice of singing with
pencils in the mouth. It is a common device that was heavily
promoted by a teacher in California but I have seen many damaging
results of this practice. >>

lloyd,

i think 'heavily promoted' is the key problem. i use it to show my
students that something else is going on. it is one of many things i use to
shake people from pre-conceived notions of how things work.

i agree singing with a pencil can lead to some bizarre problems.
before anything bad could happen, the most immediate problem i have with some
of my students is they think they are supposed to keep their mouths closed.

however, it can be useful in finding a very different sound very quickly.

mike

emusic.com