Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Fri Feb 16, 2001  12:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Belt examples

Greypins@a... wrote:

> barry,
>
> would you please list some examples of well known singers you consider
> belters? if you would care to provide examples of centrist belters as
> opposed to fringe belters, that might prove interesting (not to mention the
> possibility of stirring up a nice juicy figh...uh, i mean discussion).

Ok, I dug through some CDs in my office. These are the one that strike
my ears as obvious belt. It is impossible to say what is going on in
the minds and bodies of the artist.

Belt Examples

Ain’t Misbehavin’ (Original Broadway cast recording) tracks: 1 “Ain’t
Misbehavin’”(almost all of the singing.,) 2: “Cash for your trash” (just
about anything Nell Carter sings except “Mean to me”, “Keepin’ out of
mischief “(in the louder sections.

City of Angels (london cast) “What you don’t know about women” (Haydn
Gwynne, Fiona Hendley) in a few places where it gets high and intense.

Celine Dion (a lot of the time but not always) Compare her voice with
Barbara’s on their duet “Tell Him” near the end: Streisand mixes and
Dion belts. Also, the ending repriese of “My Heart Will Go” On (the
high parts) Great belt! Streisand is an interesting case: she did a
lot of belting in her early career (ie “Cornet Man” in Funny Girl) but
used mix much more in the last 20 years.

Almost anything sung by Ethel Merman

The Most Happy Fella (original B’way not the revival) Anything sung by
Cleo (Susan Johnson) ie “Ooo my feet”, “Big D”, etc.

“Adelaide’s Lament” from Guy’s and Dolls (Broadway revival - Faith Prince)

Les Miserable (Complete symphonic recording) Eponine (Kaho Shimada) “On
my own” 2nd half of song. Compare with Fantine (Debbie Byrne) who sings
mix. I hear Fantine done both mix and belt. I prefer mix.

Joseph and the Amazing techn. Dreamcoat (L. Webber’s New Production) -
The Narrator: “Pharaoh Story” (Linzi Hateley). I have heard this role
done both mix and belt. I prefer belt.

Evita - Patti LuPone. She gets a little ‘chesty’ at times. Listen to
“Buenos Aires” and “A New Argentina”. Compare with the Madonna recording.

Madonna on the I’m Breathless album (Dick Tracy) in the song “Cry Baby”

Anything Goes - Reno Sweeny (“Anything Goes”, “Blow Gabriel Blow”)
Either Patti LuPone (a little heavy), or the new London revival with
??sorry, I lent it out)

Secret Garden (OBWC) Either of Martha’s songs (sung by ??) and Dickon’s songs.

Sweeny Todd “Worst Pies in London” Angela Lansbury. Belts in lower
range and then mixes upper notes.

Company (1996 London cast) “Another Hundred People” Half and half mix
and belt on high portions. “Getting Married Today”

Colm Wilkinson Stage Heroes. “Pity the child” Good example of male
belt. Compare with the other selections.

Hope this helps. Gib, if you're out there, help me out!
--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9524 Re: Belt examples buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9525 Re: Belt examples buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9530 Re: Belt examples Greypins@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9531 Re: Belt examples Greypins@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9533 Re: Belt examples David Grogan   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9535 Re: Belt examples buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   3 KB
9536 Re: Belt examples Mezzoid@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9540 Re: Belt examples buzzcen@a...   Fri  2/16/2001   2 KB
9895 Re: Belt examples Caio Rossi   Fri  3/2/2001   3 KB

emusic.com