Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Thu Feb 15, 2001  6:07 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: vowel quandry/'covering'

Dear Graham and co vocalisters,

Graham wrote:
'[...]I would normally stay out of this, but the above quote shows a
misunderstanding 1. about vocal technique and 2. about Mozart.
1. Every voice can modify too much or too little regardless of the weight of
the voice.
2. It is only in recent years that Mozart has been cast with only lyric
voices[...]'

As for 1: This may be true. that's why I wrote 'I think it is more a matter of
a good head/chest mix, than of covering'. But apart from that, as I understand
it, the heavier the voice, the lower you'll have to cover: the original poster
was talking about covering-problems at E4. For a lyrical tenor and especially
for a light lyrical, this should a very easy note.

As for 2: There was a time when people were trained to sing both light and
heavy, regardless of the voice. There also was a time when every voice could
sing coloratura's very well, but all that's history.

If you are a heldentenor, that can sing Mozart - and I don't mean the
Zauberflöte, but the opera's we were talking about, Don Giovanni, and Così fan
Tutte - in a beautiful way, a great future lies ahead of you. If so, why not
put a mp3 of this on our site? It could be very interesting.

One thing we might agree upon, is that a tenorino is not the right voice to
sing Mozart either.

Best greetings,

Dré

If you are a spinto or heavier, you may have to modify the vowels too
strongly for other reasons, and then it is not Mozart anymore either.

Dré

I would normally stay out of this, but the above quote shows a
misunderstanding 1. about vocal technique and 2. about Mozart.

1. Every voice can modify too much or too little regardless of the weight of
the voice.

2. It is only in recent years that Mozart has been cast with only lyric
voices.

Ciao,

Graham

Heldentenor
gsanders@b...
gsanders@b...
http://www.Heldentenor.theartzone.net
http://www.geocities.com/grahamsanders.geo

Tel: +49 (0)421 417-2349
Fax: +49 (0)421 417-2348 or (089) 2443 - 50310
Mobile: +49 (0)172 566-5754

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

emusic.com