Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Thu Feb 15, 2001  2:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Cadenzas and ritards

I did a search at Amazon.com, BN.com and Borders.com and Neumann kept
popping up, though he is out of print. I was wondering how reputable he
was and how he was seen by musicologists.
In grad school we were made to study Charles Rosen's The Classical
Style. Very informative but very dry... not too much on ornamentation
that I remember.

thanks for the information!
Gina

Jeffrey Snider wrote:

> > What are your sources for the information you have provided? If
> they
> > are published, I would like to read them. Thank you.
>
> There is an entire book entitled "Ornamentation in Mozart" by
> Friedrich Neumann. Be aware, however, that Neumann is not without
> controversy and many musicologists (including one of my performance
> practice teachers at North Texas) cannot stand him!
>
> BTW, he is opposed to inserting appoggiaturas in "closed numbers"
> (arias, duets, etc.) although I seem to recall that he doesn't really
> provide much explanation, he just doesn't like it!

emusic.com